SAGE Scholars is a cohort-based scholarship program for engineering and computer science students funded by the National Science Foundation (NSF). This program continues a tradition of NSF-funded scholarship programs at Boise State that support students. SAGE Scholars receive a combination of academic advising, professional development, social experiences, and significant financial support.
Academic Support (First Year)
As SAGE Scholars, students will enroll in a two-semester course sequence taught by the SAGE Scholars program director. These courses focus on academic preparedness and success strategies for engineering and computer science coursework. Students will also participate in an engineering service learning experience.
Financial Support (Second Year)
SAGE Scholars are eligible for a scholarship of up to $8000 (depending on individual level of need) for their second year if they meet the following criteria in their first year:
- Continued enrollment in an engineering or computer science major
- Earning a grade of B or higher in all first-year math courses and passing Math 170 (Calculus I) by the end of their second semester
- Earning a grade of B or higher in all SAGE Scholars courses
- Active participation in SAGE Scholars activities
- Compliance with the conditions of the SAGE Scholars program
Support Outside of the Classroom
The signature kick-off event for SAGE Scholars is the RAISE (Recreation and Academics in a Summer Experience) program. This opportunity is connected to the July 9-10 BroncoVenture new student orientation, and includes two parts in addition to the orientation – Bridge to Boise State (required for all SAGE Scholars) and an Outdoor Experience (optional for SAGE Scholars). Program costs, including food and housing, are provided through the Institute for STEM and Diversity Initiatives (ISDI) for the Bridge to Boise State portion of the RAISE program at no cost to SAGE Scholars. Limited scholarship funding is available through ISDI for the Outdoor Experience, but is not guaranteed.
SAGE Scholars will participate in other social and professional development activities throughout the year. Mentorship opportunities will also be available with faculty and other students.
*All SAGE Scholars are expected to attend the Bridge to Boise State portion of the RAISE program, which includes registering for the July 9-10 orientation (done through New Student Programs). Exceptions may be made based on discussions with the Program Director.
RAISE Program Outline
- July 9 – 10
- Required for SAGE Scholars
- Bridge to Boise State
- July 10 (afternoon) – July 12
- Required for SAGE Scholars
- No cost to SAGE Scholars
- Outdoor Experience
- July 13 – 15
- Optional for SAGE Scholars
- $265 (Scholarships available based on financial need)
Criteria for Admission to the SAGE Scholars Program
In addition to completing the application and satisfying the following criteria, students interested in the program will have an interview (in person, over the phone, or by video call) with program staff.
Students must be:
- Enrolled full-time (at least 12 credits) at Boise State
- Major in Civil Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering (or pre-Mechanical), Materials Science & Engineering, or Computer Science
- Exhibit federal qualification for financial aid (Students must have FAFSA on file for their application to be considered)
- Place into Math 143 or Math 144 (SAT Math 540-650, ACT Math 23-28, or Boise State math placement test)**
- Have evidence of prior strong academic achievement
- Meet NSF S-STEM citizenship/residency requirements for scholarship funding
**There is some flexibility in this. Students who initially place into Math 143 or 144 and subsequently place into Math 170 may be admitted into the program on a case-by-case basis. Students who place into Math 175 or higher will not be considered.
Do you have questions about the program? Let us answer them!
Please contact our Program Director, Ann Delaney, by one of the following methods:
Call: (208) 426-5982
Office: Engineering Building – Room 307
To apply to be part of the SAGE Scholars cohort starting in Fall 2018, please fill out the Boise State Scholarship Application. After completing the general application, select SAGE Scholars from the list of opportunities and complete the program-specific questions to apply. When we receive your application, you will then be contacted to schedule an interview.
Applications close June 15.