The STEM Station at Boise State University supports a consortium of NSF STEM education research and initiatives related to STEM students and faculty development and success.
CALIPER - Catalyst to Assess Learning and Instructional Practices for Evidence- based Reform
- Emphasis- STEM undergrad general education courses
- Description- Gather and analyze data to understand the relationship between instructional practices and intended student learning outcomes.
- Partners/People (contact person is highlighted)- Sharon McGuire, Susan Shadle, Karen Viskupic, Sasha Wang, Eric Landrum, Ross Perkins
- Emphasis- Faculty and Student interactions / Everyday Examples in Engineering
- Description- Dissemination mini-grant on increasing faculty-student interactions by conveying evidence-based best practices through workshops for students and faculty / Mini-grant facilitating the use of everyday examples to teach abstract concepts.
- Partners/people (contact person highlighted)- Krishna Pakala, Sarah Haight
EEC- Engineering Education Research: Division of Engineering Education and Centers
- Emphasis- Engineering first year students
- Description- Develop an instructional strategy for preventing/eliminating misconceptions towards science and engineering courses and disciplines.
- Partners/People (contact person is highlighted)- Dazhi Yang and Inanc Senocak
EPSCoR- Educational components of Idaho EPSCoR Research Infrastructure Improvements
- Emphasis- Underrepresented STEM undergrads
- Description- Faculty mentored undergraduate research themed around managing Idaho’s landscaped for ecosystem services
- Partners/People (contact person is highlighted)- Shawn Benner, Janet Callahan
Geoscience Education- K-12 Virtual Labs for Teaching Science of Geochronology
- Emphasis- K-12
- Description- Partnership with the Idaho Digital Learning Academy to develop virtual labs, field trips and education activities on the science of geochronology and understanding geologic time.
- Partners/People (contact person is highlighted)- Karen Viskupic, Ross Perkins, Chareen Snelson, Mark Schmitz
GK-12 – Graduate STEM Fellows in K-12 Education
- Emphasis- Bio & Geo grad students & K-12 teachers
- Description- Geoscience and biology partnerships with informal science centers for K-12 education and outreach; and professional development for grad students and teachers.
- Partners/People (contact person is highlighted)-Karen Viskupic, Jim Beltoff, Dave Wilkins
IEECI E2R2P- Engineering Education Research to Practice
- Emphasis- Faculty Focus
- Description- Redesign engineering and STEM courses to include problem and project based learning and create a sounding board of potential faculty adopters.
- Partners/People (contact person is highlighted)- Don Plumlee, Linda Huglin, Steve Villachica
IEECI SADINE2- Successful Adoption of Innovation in Engineering Education
- Emphasis- Faculty Focus
- Description- Study faculty characteristics and environmental perceptions leading to successful adoption of innovations in engineering education.
- Partners/People (contact person is highlighted)- Kirsten Davis, Sondra Miller, Ross Perkins
LSAMP- Louis Stokes Alliance for Minority Participation
- Emphasis- STEM undergrads (URM)
- Description- Research experiences and academic enhancement to encourage degree completion among underrepresented students
- Partners/People (contact person is highlighted)- Marty Schimpf, Emily Flores, Sharon McGuire
MSP- Math Science Partnership (completed)
- Emphasis- K-12/ teacher education
- Description- Planning grant for state-wide educational partners to increase the quantity and quality of K-12 STEM teaching
- Partners/People (contact person is highlighted)-Louis Nadelson, Amy Moll, Henry Charlier, Randy Schrader, Barbara Morgan
Noyce- Robert Noyce Scholarship Program
- Emphasis- K-12 teaching preparation in STEM majors
- Description- Scholarships for undergraduate or graduate students pursuing a teaching certificate in STEM fields
- Partners/People (contact person is highlighted)- Louis Nadelson, Amy Moll, Henry Charlier, Jan Smith, Amy Clink, and Matt Wigglesworth
REU Chemistry- Research Experiences for Undergraduates
- Emphasis- Community College & STEM undergrads in U.S.
- Description- Undergraduate research and peer mentoring early in students’ careers to increase retention.
- Partners/People (contact person is highlighted)- Don Warner, Eric Brown, Louis Nadelson
REU Mathematics- Research Experience for Undergraduates
- Emphasis- Two BSU students & six from elsewhere in U.S.
- Description- Undergraduate research to immerse students of diverse backgrounds in math by application to information security and genome biology
- Partners/People (contact person is highlighted)- Liljana Babinkostova, Jens Harlander, Marion Scheepers
REU Biology – Raptor Research
- Emphasis- STEM Undergrads
- Description- Engages undergraduates in field and laboratory research with a thematic focus on Raptor Research
- Partners/People (contact person is highlighted)- James Belthoff, Jesse Barber, Marc Mechard, Jay Carlisle, Marie-Anne de Graaff, Jennifer Forbey, Mark Fuller, Matthew Giovanni, Julie Heath, Greg Kaltenecker, Jim Smith
S-STEM- Idaho Scholarships for Transfer Students (two other S-STEMs have completed)
- Emphasis- Engineering transfer students
- Description- Scholarships for academically talented engineering and computer science students with financial need
- Partners/People (contact person is highlighted)- Janet Callahan, Amy Moll, Doug Bullock, Amit Jain, Tami Taylor, Lynn Olson
STEP- Science Talent Expansion Programs
- Emphasis- STEM undergrads
- Description- Academic enhancement, learning communities, research and advising to increase retention among all STEM majors.
- Partners/People (contact person is highlighted)- Janet Callahan, Jude Garzolini, Susan Shadle, Doug Bullock, Joe Guarino, Gary Hunt
TUES- Process Oriented Guided Inquiry Learning POGIL
- Emphasis- STEM undergrads, in material science & engineering
- Description- Redesign intro materials science class using POGIL, based upon learning cycle model.
- Partners/People (contact person is highlighted)- Will Hughes
TUES- Mobile Based Learning Games MBLG
- Emphasis- Undergraduate STEM Education
- Description- Research to develop and assess five mobile-based learning game (MLBG) modules utilizing the Grand Canyon as the virtual laboratory.
- Partners/People (contact person is highlighted)- Brett E. Shelton
Innovation through Institutional Integration (I3)- STEM Central STATION
- Emphasis- STEM undergrads, grad students & faculty
- Description- Research and strategies to enhance NSF STEM initiatives and add programs to support Learning Partnerships for students and faculty in a centralized Station.
- Partners/People (contact person is highlighted)- Marty Schimpf, Sharon McGuire, Karen Viskupic, Amy Moll, Louis Nadelson, Pat Pyke
WIDER - Widening Implementation and Dissemination of Evidence-Based Reform PERSIST (Promoting Educational Reform through Strategic Investments in SySTEMic Transformation)
- Emphasis- STEM foundational courses
- Description- Create transformational change in STEM teaching and learning by applying a change model to saturate STEM courses with norm of evidence-based best practices
- Partners/People (contact person is highlighted)- Susan Shadle, Doug Bullock, Amy Moll, Tony Roark, Eric Landrum, Tony Marker, Pat Pyke