If you want to brush up your math skills for the Spring 2013 term, we have an online Math Learning Module available at no charge. We recommend you take advantage of this module if:
- It has been more than 1 year since you took a math course and you want to refresh your skills or
- Your math placement score qualifies you for a lower level math course than you want to take and you want to study math before taking the COMPASS math placement test.
What is ALEKS?
- ALEKS is a web-based system that may be accessed from any computer with web access and a Java-enabled browser 24 hours a day for the entire time of the subscription. After completing the initial log on process, students are required to take an initial assessment in ALEKS to determine their level of concept mastery.
- Based on the student’s performance on the initial assessment, ALEKS provides online associated practice problems (called Learning Mode) that start “where the student is” and work toward student mastery of the course syllabus. Periodically, ALEKS will have the student complete a new assessment (on both prerequisite material and course content) in order to maintain an accurate evaluation of the student’s needs an abilities. ALEKS provides a detailed progress history for each student, which includes hours, spent using ALEKS and the percent of content covered on both prerequisite material and course content, at any time.
- Once you activate your access you have 77 consecutive days of use.
- Note: the Boise State mathematics department no longer requires ALEKS assessment; this module is not applicable for math assessment.
Who can use ALEKS
A grant from the National Science Foundation (NSF) provides free licenses for ALEKS online Learning Modules to U.S. citizens and permanent residents majoring in a science, engineering, computer science, or mathematics field (STEM).
ALEKS licenses may be purchased directly from www.aleks.com for approximately $19.95/month. On the ALEKS course list, choose from the following courses, depending on your level. If you choose a level that turns out to be either too easy or too hard, contact the company and they can switch you to a more appropriate level.
- Prep for Intermediate Algebra
- Prep for PreCalculus
- Prep for Calculus
BSU Bookstore Award for students starting their ALEKS subscription after January 7, 2013 (in effect through 8/12/13)
Students who invest 20 or more hours in working through this module are automatically entered in the pool for the BSU Bookstore award. The Bookstore award is a $100 allowance for use on texts and required supplies. Our experience is that students who spend 20 or more hours earnestly working this module do much better than students who don’t do the review.
To obtain instructions and access code send an email to email@example.com. Your email must include the following:
Subject: ALEKS Learning Module
Body: Include your Name, Student ID number, your major, and the course for which you are preparing (Math 108, 143, 144, or 170).
Other Math Assistance
This is especially useful for students who need to work on specific topics in their courses (exponents, fractions, logarithms, etc.)