Need to brush up your math skills for the upcoming 2015 term? We have an online Math Learning Module available at no charge. We recommend you take advantage of this module if:
- It has been more than 1 year since you took a math course and you want to refresh your skills
- Your math placement score qualifies you for a lower level math course than you want to take and you want to study math before taking the COMPASS math placement test
- You are new to Boise State as an incoming first year or transfer student
- You have a scholarship that requires you to do well in terms of keeping a good grade point average
To obtain instructions and access code, email email@example.com. Your email must include the following information:
Subject: ALEKS Learning Module
Body: Include your Name, Student ID number, STEM major, and the course for which you are preparing (Math 108, 143, 144, or 170).
What is ALEKS?
- Free, personalized, online learning covering concepts in Algebra, Trigonometry, Pre-Calculus, and Calculus.
- ALEKS provides online associated practice problems that start “where the student is” and work toward student mastery of the course syllabus.
- Once you activate your access you have 77 consecutive days of use.
- Note: the Boise State mathematics department no longer requires ALEKS assessment; this module is not applicable for math assessment.
Who can use ALEKS?
- A grant from the National Science Foundation (NSF) provides free licenses for ALEKS online Learning Modules to U.S. citizens and permanent residents majoring in a science, engineering, computer science, or mathematics field (STEM).
- If you are not a U.S. citizen or a permanent resident, you may purchase ALEKS licenses directly from www.aleks.com for approximately $19.95/month. On the ALEKS course list, choose from the following courses below, depending on your level. If you choose a level that turns out to be too easy or too hard, contact the company and they can switch you to a more appropriate level.
- Prep for Intermediate Algebra
- Prep for PreCalculus
- Prep for Calculus
Students who benefit from ALEKS
- Want to get a good grade in their next math class
“I knew I had to keep a 3.0 gpa to keep my scholarship, and so I was really motivated to do the review. I found it really beneficial as it had been a year or more since I had learned some of the math concepts in high school and I had forgotten some things”.
- Want to increase their confidence in math
“I did ALEKS in the summer until I had learned 90% of the content in Prep for Calculus. Doing that gave me confidence when I took Calc I in the fall that I actually knew the underlying math to be successful in the class. Thank you National Science Foundation for the free license! “
- Have not taken math recently
“It has been a few years since I took math. ALEKS was a great review and focused on what I didn’t know.”
- Want to increase their COMPASS scores
“I am not a great test taker and my scores placed me in a lower math class. ALEKS helped me to increase my math placement scores when I took the COMPASS again.”
Other Math Assistance
This is especially useful for students who need to work on specific topics in their courses (exponents, fractions, logarithms, etc.)